This will probably be the one and only time you will hear me say this…but ‘LET’S HAVE A ROUND OF SHOTS OVER HERE!!!’
Ah…that’s felt kinda good! Those who know me know I don’t drink…alcoholic beverages that is, and when I say I don’t drink that doesn’t mean I refuse to drink, it just means I PREFER not to. Let’s just say in the last 5 years I have probably had three drinks…not three nights of drinking…but actually three drinks. I like being and FEELING 100% at all times, I like having control of my actions and WORDS…and well (as most know) alcohol makes that impossible. So I keep the hangovers and foggy memory to all my fellow bar hoppers…I’ll be over here sipping on a coconut water…jotting down tomorrows plan of events. BECAUSE I GOT SHIT TO DO!
I preach a ton about eating more greens and introducing green smoothies into your diet. But if there is not anything you decide to do as far as your health, at least find a way to get a SHOT of WHEAT GRASS into your diet weekly if not daily!
It’s amazing that even with thousands of documented health benefits of Wheatgrass it still is not something everyone partakes of, or even knows about. It is known as one of the most potent- healthy substances on earth. I have been drinking wheatgrass about 4-5 times a month for about 3 years now. If it wasn’t for the fact that I do not have the means (wheatgrass juicer) to make it myself, I would be taking back a shot every single day, like an addict. But for those of you in my shoes that are living a dull life without this AWESOME wheatgrass juicer, places like Jamba Juice and healthy drink/cafe/juicing bars will have plenty to spare, and I highly recommend you googling a place near by that you can travel to. If you see me there, feel free to sit with me, we can clink glasses and give cheer to a life of health and then chase that green grassy shot down with a slice of lemon. After a few laughs, a fist bump and a thumbs up we can be on our way only to possibly meet again at a near by meditation retreat…oh in a perfect world…
Back on subject, although I eat tons of greens and can not give ALL the praise to wheatgrass for the energy spikes and over all great health…I know that wheatgrass is a HUGE benefit to anyones health regiment. Take a gander below at some of the awesome benefits of this grassy stuff…
Wheatgrass benefits are so easy to achieve and feel because:
- One teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams!
- It contains awesome essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging)
- Helps your body to build red blood cells which carries oxygen to every cell. Oxygenation of the body helps offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise
- Contains more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots.
- Contains 19 amino acids,making this one of the most powerful benefits!
- Contains over 90 minerals, including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium
- 30mls of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice (a wheatgrass shot!) is equivalent in nutritional value to 1kg of leafy green vegetables
Wheatgrass Benefits Explained
Why I love wheatgrass!!!
- Wheatgrass Builds Blood: Many health experts have highlighted that the chlorophyll molecule in wheatgrass is almost identical to the haemoglobin molecule in human blood. The only difference is that the central element in chlorophyll is magnesium and in haemoglobin it is iron. Due to this inherent similarity the human body can easily transform chlorophyll into haemoglobin increasing the red blood cell count as well as the blood’s capacity to deliver oxygen and other nutrients to the body’s cells (Hagiwara, 1985) .Chlorophyll has been shown to build red blood cells quickly, normalise blood pressure by dilating the blood pathways though out the body, destroy poisonous carbon dioxide, release free oxygen and promote higher metabolism and stimulated enzyme systems.
- Wheatgrass Cleanses the Body: Wheatgrass is an extremely beneficial food in terms of both its cleansing capabilities. The contents of wheatgrass juice and powder (green drink) are reported to be within the region of approximately 100 separate elements with scientists dubbing it a ‘complete food’. According to ‘The Wheatgrass Book’ (Wigmore, 1985), just 140g of fresh wheatgrass offers the same nutritional value as over 3kg’s of fresh green vegetables! Thats a great way to get your daily fresh vegetable quota rocking – all from one wheatgrass shot.Wheatgrass is a great source of vitamins B, C, E and carotene which are hugely effective in destroying and eliminating free radicals and cleansing the body. Wheatgrass is also highly regarded for its ability to cleanse the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract. Wheatgrass helps to ‘detoxify the body by increasing the elimination of hardened mucous, crystallised acids and solidified, decaying faecal matter…It is the fastest, surest way to eliminate internal waste and provide an optimum nutritional environment’.
- Wheatgrass Has High Amino Acid Content:: You may have heard the expression before that – amino acids are the building blocks of protein. They are absolutely essential to our growth and cell regeneration. It is the astonishingly high amino acid content in wheatgrass that is leading to many bodybuilders and gym-goers incorporating fresh (a wheatgrass shot) or wheatgrass powder into their daily routine.Wheatgrass benefits are so impactful because it is a complete protein and contains, amongst others, the following amino acids: arginine, serine, absenisic, lysine, aspartic acid, glycine, alanine, methionine, leucine, tryptophane, phenylalanine, and valine.
- Wheatgrass Fights and Protects Against Illness: Organic wheatgrass powders and juices are an extremely effective way of boosting the body’s immune system to fight against and recover from illnesses and ailments. Wheatgrass is a great source of beta carotene, contains most of the B vitamins and vitamins C, E, H and K, and also contains over 90 different minerals and 19 amino acids. It also contains several active enzymes which play a major role in breaking down fats, undertaking biological functions and assist hugely in weight loss.